Essential Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Substance Use Disorders
2.5 CEs (NYS Clinicians) | FREE | Ruth Campbell & Richard Coleman
Join experienced psychotherapists Dr. Ruth Campbell, LCSW and Richard Coleman, LMSW as they discuss and demonstrate how Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), a collaborative (client and therapist) method based on social learning theory, is used with Substance Use Disorders.
Created in 2016 and updated in 2022 with current SUD prevalence statistics, information about DSM5 changes, and addiction’s effects on the family, this 2.75 hour-long beginning to intermediate level online, self-study, audio/video course features videotaped examples of clinical skills.
Participants will be able to:
- identify the prevalence of alcohol and/ or marijuana use in adolescent and adult populations
- describe 1 effect of substance use disorders on each of the following: behavior, psychological and physical health of individuals
- describe 1 effect of substance use disorders on the behavior and social well-being of families
- describe 1 effect of substance use disorders on the social well-being of communities
- describe one practice of CBT-based models of treatment for substance use disorder related problems
- list 2 assessment tools for alcohol use disorders
- list 2 substance use disorder treatment strategies for adolescents
- describe 2 CBT strategies useful for a client who is undergoing substance use (alcohol, marijuana, or cocaine) disorder treatment
- describe one evidence-based outcome of CBT-based models of treatment for substance use disorder related problems
- describe the use of CBT as an adjunct in the treatment of opiate use disorders
Background of the CBT Health Equity Research Study: Please click on the link to read about the terms and conditions of the research study of which this course is a part .
What you get from this offer
Access to the course
Get access to a 2.5-hour long course.
The completion of the course will grant you 2.5 CEs
Understand and use the insights in your own practice.
Connections Counseling Psychotherapy LCSW PLLC is recognized by the Office of Addiction Services and Supports as an approved provider of continuing education for re-credentialing CASACs (#1435). This course work/training has been approved to satisfy CASAC renewal requirements and CPP/CPS initial/renewal credentialing requirements.
For NYS Clinicians
Recognized CE provider for NYS Social Workers (# SW-0747) and LMHCs (#MHC-0272) and LMFTs (#MFT-0115) has provider level approval to offer CEs for these recorded webinars to NYS SWers, LMHCs, and LMFTs. Registrants should note that only 1/3 of contact hours needed for NY LCSWs and LMSWs can come from non-interactive web coursework. Please double check with NYSED; restrictions may have changed during COVID.
All Other Social Workers*
In 2023, Connections Counseling does not have ASWB approval to give CEs for this course. *See a map showing what jurisdictions accept ACE here.
About the authors
Ruth Campbell, LCSW, Ph.D. and Richard Coleman, LMSW
Ruth is currently in private practice in New York City and in upstate NY. She is the Continuing Education Director of the non-profit organization Best Practice Trainers, Inc. (BPTI), which has a research and training mission.
She has 40 years’ experience working in mental health settings as a clinician, teacher, and author, and over 20 years’ experience in direct practice with Substance Use Disorders. She is a thoughtful and thought-provoking writer. Read her bio here.
Richard is currently in practice in upstate New York. He has over 50 years experience working in mental health settings as a clinician and author, and 20 years experience in direct practice with Substance Use Disorders.
He is an engaging and dynamic clinician. Read his bio here.
To earn CE credit, participants must log in, attend the entire course as determined electronically and complete a course evaluation and posttest with at least 75% accuracy.
How it works
Create an account or log in to your account on the training site.
This course is free.
Watch the course.
Get your certificate.
Get access to Essential Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Substance Use Disorders Course today
To get the FREE course you need to create an account. You can do it securely on our training site. Creating an account is free. You will be instructed on how to get access to the course afterward.
Do you already have an account? Log In here.